Tuesday, July 26, 2011

SOME REALLY COOL LINKS

Hello again,
It is raining, coming down really hard so not taking the hike I planned and I'm back. I just checked my email and got the new blog from Healing Muse. This is a GREAT blog. I really like this literary journal of work by nurses and doctors, healers. I really like the concept of writing out of that kind of experience. I feel honored to have been included on the blog last month and to have had a story published in the print journal a few years back. Check it out:  www.thehealingmusecafe.blogspot.com

While I am talking about links to other great sites I had a couple others I wanted to point out but first wanted to write about two of our Wessex authors: Pete Burnham and Helen Hudson. Both have written about very vulnerable characters in the hopes of making readers more aware of the people among us who are lonely, oppressed, hungry even homeless in the hopes that awareness leads to empathy and compassion. This is why I love their fiction. I've said before and really feel it is true: non-fiction can make us aware of the problems in our world, but fiction makes us really CARE about the problems in our world.   It is not so coincidental that each of these accomplished writers has made time in their busy lives to volunteer at soup kitchens. Helen interviewed clients where she worked and put together a book called Dinner at Six: Voice from the Soup Kitchen and when you order copies all the sale proceeds are contributed to organizations that help the homeless. Peter has dedicated countless hours over the past thirty years to another labor of love: publishing a much admired annual literary journal:  The Long Story, check out the TLS link:http://web.me.com/rpburnham/Longstory/Longstory.html

Now I'd like to ask that you check out our page at a site that sells ebooks in various formats. Pete surfed that wave of the future that threatened to drown the rest of us and converted all our wessex books to three different kinds of ebooks. They can be found at:
https://secure.digitalcontentcenter.com/shop/627321/shop

and here is the best part: unlike print copies we don't have to pay for more and more digital copies so we can afford to donate most of the sale proceeds from those downloads ($5/per book) to worthy causes after we've covered our web rent and the paypal commission. When you purchase ebook versions of Night Voices by Helen Hudson, Envious Shadows, The Many Change and Pass, On A Darkling Plain and/or Robin Redbreast in a Cage you will be buying a good book and contributing to soup kitchens and shelters that  aid the homeless. Other causes which we will contribute to when you purchase other titles by other authors (which I'll write about another day) include an organization that specifically helps Homeless Veterans and some animal rescue organizations.

Thanks for stopping by, let me know about other links I should be including in these posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment